Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Brooklyn Bob talks about AutoWeek's Volvo mini van story

Brooklyn Bob or 4DriversOnly and CarsCarsCars! fame, writes today about an article over at AutoWeek, discussing a possible new Volvo mini van. Mini Vans have been around for over 20 years now, and many companies didn't make the jump into that market for various reasons. Volvo was mostly imune because of their strong reputation and capable station wagons. Even SUVs lured many into that market, Volvo trying to avoid the jump with their V70XC, but finally giving in with their excelent S80 based XC90 crossover SUV. They are even pumping up the V40 a little to create the XC50 pictured here.
So AutoWeek speculates that Volvo may take advantage of the Ford family relationship and bring out their own mini van based on Galaxy or S-Max platform. A few years ago, I would have said no way, Volvo would never do this. But today, after even Mercedes has joined the mini van tribe (Oh excuse me "Grand Sport Tourer") with it's new R class, I'm not so sure Volvo can avoid it. They could do worse than an S-Max or Galaxy base, at least it's not the FreeStar.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to see a Volvo Minivan! I have a Japanese Minivan and my husband has a V70. I love the styling of the V70 but don't want to give up the space of my van. The XC 90 is attractive but the gas mileage is shameful! I would gladly give up some power for a hybrid XC 90, if Volvo can't come up with a minivan. If the hybrid technology is there for a C30 why not an XC 90?

Anonymous said...

i would also LOVE a mini van. the xc 90 is nice but the space in a mini van is much better for a large family.