Friday, May 13, 2005

Support your favorite team!


Buy American, this is what my hard earned money will be buying within the next year.

You know, I'm always amazed when people get up in arms about their favorite sports team. They show a fanatacism that is overwhelming. There have been instances of Fans preventing thier team's franchise from pulling out and relocating to another city. There have been rally crys in New York City over the last few months to build a new stadium for the Jets. I'm impressed.

In the automotive world there have been limited examples of the same fervor. I remember in the late 80's when Ford nearly replaced the Mustang with the Ford Probe, built off the Mazda platform. Mustang lovers sent letters and started to buy Mustangs. That response and resurgance in sales helped save the Mustang.

Can't we do something like that again? Our big three auto manufacturers are a very important part of our economy, as Americans can't we do something to save them. I'm not suggesting legislation or tarrifs, they haven't been enough in the past. I'm talking about some "grass roots" action here.

I work in a union job and I drive a Ford truck. Many of my coworkers would talk big about being proud of being Union and being patriotic Americans. These same guys would go out to the lot and get in their foreign car or truck. Some of the staunchest "Union" men I knew drove Nissans, Hyundais and Hondas. Isn't something wrong with this picture? The facts are undisputable, the American big three have improved build quality and increased content level in their cars over the years so much that they are the equal of most foreign cars. Hell, the fact is that the lines are getting blurred with all of the partnerships and joint ventures over the years about what exactly is an "American" car, what with Toyota, Nissan, Honda, VW, BMW and Isuzu having plants in the US.

But my point is still valid, if you want to be patriotic, BUY AMERICAN! If you want to be a good UNION man, BUY AMERICAN! If you want this country to be a viable member of the world economy, BUY AMERICAN!!

If the big three crumble, it's going to be bad for all of us, not just he "lazy" UAW workers.
We can argue about "legacy costs" per unit, pensions and all of the other bullshit, but in the end if the "American Car makers" go under, so do a good many other related companies that make the parts and materials.

I BUY AMERICAN, so don't blame me when the lights go out.

No comments: