Monday, April 25, 2005

Driving the 2005 Lincoln Town Car this weekend

On Sunday I had occasion to rent a Lincoln Town Car and I'd like to give you my impressions. Being a big Ford fan, I have driven Town Cars in the past and this was not much different. The Lincoln was a little soft riding, but very comfortable and never sloppy. I did a 300 mile circuit with the car, through 5 counties on all types of roads. From Orange county down to the Bronx in New York, on badly potholed streets to smooth interstate highways.

The Lincoln did a great job of soaking up the bumps and keeping everyone comfy. There was a bit of isolation from the driving experience. Steering effort was non existent, but right on. The car continuously surprised me,with it's speed and grace. I had to keep a close eye on the speedometer because without noticing, I was doing 90 quite a few times. The 4.6 SOHC V-8 was butter smooth and quiet.

While this is no BMW or Mercedes, it is the perfect car for a long trip in comfort. The seats were comfortable and there was no noise in the cabin. The controls for radio and environmental were at hand and easy to use. There were enough cubby holes and storage places for maps, sunglasses and whatever else you may want to bring along. Two cup holders in the leading edge of the seat, perfectly placed for ease. I was impressed with the improvements over past Town Cars I had driven.

I also have to say, how nice the people at Hertz in Stewart Airport were. I've rented quite a few cars in my time from many companies and Hertz never fails to satisfy and impress. When I got there, they had reserved a white Town Car for me, but I wouldn't take it, they were very nice and switched it for a gold one without blinking. I can't drive a white car, it's like driving the fridge down the road.

If I had the need for a big luxo barge, the Town Car would be on my short list, and then I'd bring it to Kenny Brown for a few performance upgrades.

No comments: